YMCA Camp Leif Ericson - One Week Program
We partner with Safari Club International to offer a unique one-week camping experience to children ages 11-15. Our mission is to highlight South Dakota’s vast outdoor opportunities to our youth and build strong families through hunting and fishing traditions. This program is designed for beginning hunters and provides extensive hands-on instruction in basic firearms safety, including shooting techniques in rifle, shotguns, and archery. The program even includes an overnight on Thursday evening!
This program is designed for beginning hunters and provides extensive hands-on instruction in basic firearms safety, including shooting techniques in rifles, shotguns, and archery. Campers will have an opportunity to put their skills to the test with an all-inclusive pheasant hunt at the Top Gun Lodge in September.
*Successful completion of Tailfeather I is a prerequisite for Tailfeather II.
Tailfeather II campers will have the opportunity to build upon and further develop the skills introduced in Tailfeather I. Tailfeather II will provide campers opportunities to learn about outdoor survival, decoy sets, hunting blind construction, hunting dogs, and much more. The week long adventure culminates with a trip to Hunter’s Point and a canoe trip down the Big Sioux River. Campers will have an opportunity to put their skills to the test with an all-inclusive pheasant hunt at the Top Gun Lodge in September.
- Teach and build environmental awareness that will serve our campers, their families, and our communities in the future.
- Engage campers in fun, adventurous activities while building a greater appreciation of land and wildlife conservation values.
- Provide a safe platform for learning the SD HuntSAFE and Bowhunter Education programs in order to receive their hunter safety certification cards.
- Develop safe, responsible hunters who are aware of our hunting heritage and who understand the hunter's role and relationship with wildlife and the land.
- Participate in outreach activities that will support area communities and their environmental projects and initiatives.
Registration fee includes all meals, firearms and archery equipment use, all ammo and targets, and instructional materials.
For more information on Tailfeather Camp, please contact Mike Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (605) 336-2267