History

The Sioux Falls Family YMCA was founded in 1886 and has been in continuous operation at our current location since 1919.  Since the early years, the YMCA has positively changed countless lives in our community through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.

1920 

Camp Tepeetonka was organized at Christenson’s Point, Lake Madison. (Tepeetonka means “Big Tent”.)

 

1922

The second addition of the building opened and included:  103 residence rooms for men, a men’s social room, recreation room, bowling alleys, locker rooms, gymnasium, handball court, swimming pool, boys’ social room, cafeteria, and club rooms.

 

1930

The first Tri-State Boys’ Basketball Tournament was held.  Camp Tepeetonka was moved from Lake Madison to the 55-acre Manhattan Island on Big Stone Lake.

 

1942

The ground floor was utilized as a USO unit and a new coffee shop was built.  A teen canteen was opened and all YMCA recreational facilities were made available exclusively to high school boys and girls on Saturday evenings.

 

1950

The Sioux Falls Family YMCA became an agency of the Community Chest (later the United Way)

 

1966

Leif Ericson Day Camp was established on property donated by the Norlin Family and Paul Batcheller.

 

1967

The Anderson Memorial Youth Building was dedicated.

 

1969

The Sioux Falls Family YMCA’s 50th Anniversary was observed on April 24th.  The “Learn-to-Swim” pool in the Anderson Memorial Youth Building was completed.

 

1972

Women’s Activity Memberships were made available.

 

1974

Girls were welcomed as campers at Leif Ericson Day Camp and girls in the 5th-6th grades were added to our youth programming.

 

1986

Project 2000 work was dedicated—Max L. Rysdon Pool, Women’s General Locker Room, Weight Room, Nautilus Center and free-weight areas.

 

1990

Camp Tepeetonka was moved to present site at Camp Leif Ericson.

 

1993

First Girls’ Tri-State Basketball Tournament held.

 

1996

Dan and Arlene Kirby established the YMCA Endowment Fund at the Sioux Falls Area Community Foundation.

 

1997

The Scherschligt Family Play Space (a gift from Les and Jeff Scherschligt) replaces the Old Main Pool.

 

1999

YMCA starts after school programs at all Sioux Falls public middle schools.  First Annual YMCA Golf Benefit for Century Club was held August 13th at Willow Run Golf Course. 

 

2001

National YMCA celebrated its 150th Anniversary on July 29th.

 

2006

Family Wellness Center, a partnership between the YMCA and Sanford Hospital, opens. 

 

2009

The Sioux Falls Family YMCA celebrated its 90th anniversary.

 

2010

A partnership with Sioux Falls Skyforce basketball league was formed to create YForce.  This new youth basketball league combined the Advanced Basketball League and the Recreational League, 4th-8th grades.  The new YMCA logo is launched nationwide.

 

2013

The YMCA partnered with Citi and Lloyd Construction to build 52, affordable housing units for the downtown community.  The housing units would take 3/5 of the current YMCA’s square footage with the remainder going to a newly remodeled downtown YMCA wellness facility.   

 

2014

On May 5, the new YMCA opened with over 35,000 ft. of remodeled space.  The new YMCA featured state-of-the-art racquetball courts, a virtual fitness room and upgraded locker room spaces.  

 

2015

The YMCA housing area was completed mid-summer, with a grand opening on August 17th.  

  • YMCA Camp Leif Ericson
  • Sioux Falls YMCA
  • Sioux Falls YMCA

Downtown YMCA:

220 S. Minnesota Ave., Sioux Falls, SD  57104

E. welcome@siouxfallsymca.org

Tel. 605.336.3190

Fax 605.336.3516

Youth Performance Center: 

2517 S Shirley Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57106

E. ypc@siouxfallsymca.org

Tel. 605.274.9622

Camp Leif Ericson: 

2301 E 26th St, Sioux Falls, SD 57103

E. camp@siouxfallsymca.org

Tel. 605.336.2267

Youth Basketball:

220 S. Minnesota Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57104

E. basketball@siouxfallsymca.org

Tel. 605.336.3190